Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cooper's Breed Mix, Fundraising and TV Interview.

This has been a very busy week so far!  I've been making more plans to return to PAD in PA to continue team training with Cooper.  I am hoping to get down there on Monday, so I've been working hard to raise the funds I need for the trip.

I'm selling a few things on e-bay, it's just a few things I had around the house, check out my store azevwing. I'm also trying to spread the word as best I can.

Okay now that I'm done with the boring part, on to Cooper!  All service dog pups need to have many experiences in the wider world where they have a chance to acclimate to strange events and the general craziness that happens around us strange humans.  So to that end Cooper was offered an amazing opportunity to be a model for an advertisement.  I heard that he did remarkably well and that everyone was in love with him.  I really can't blame them he's quite the handsome fellow.  Here's a picture of him relaxing in between photo shoots.

I've been asked a few times what Cooper's breed mix might be.  Well his mother was a mixed breed herself and she's not telling.  Phoenix Assistance Dogs will sometimes do a Wisdom Panel Test with their dogs in order to identify certain breeds that may have genetic disorders that can be screened for.  While not exact, this test can identify key breeds such as Labrador Retrievers and Australian Shepherds that carry diseases that may not be apparent until the dog is an adult.  There are genetic tests that can be run to identify dogs that are at risk. PAD believes in ensuring that all their dogs are as healthy as they can be.

The results are in.  Cooper is 25% Golden Retriever, 25% Shar-Pei, 14.80% Clumber Spaniel, 9.87% Redbone Coonhound, 9.80% Labrador Retriever, 7.40% Beagle and 2.19% Harrier.

Clockwise from top left, Redbone Coonhound, Golden Retriever, Cooper, Shar-Pei, Beagle, Harrier, Black Lab, Clumber Spaniel


Wow that's a lot of dogs!  So I guess that means that Cooper is a mutt, but that's okay because mutts are the best dogs :-D just ask Gypsy!

In other news, I went on TV again.  This time it was on a local TV channel.  My friend Liz, who founded Please Don't Pet Me set it up and asked me to join her with Gypsy. Here's a pre-view of the show.  The show should be online in about a week or so, I'll be sure to let you all know when it airs!  BTW I'm the one with the colorful dog at my feet.

I believe very strongly in education and awareness.  I hope to help others create a better understanding of disabled people and the service dogs that help us.

1 comment:

  1. So many things I want to say but most importantly - LOVE this video clip and can't wait to see the entire episode!!!

    ReplyDelete